Other Names: Common School District No. 5
Named for Charles Lindbergh (American Aviator and the first pilot to fly across the Atlantic Ocean, New York City to Paris in 1927)
Built: circa 1918
(District was originally “old Muncie.”)
(Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 – Old Muncie District – John Ragan, A. D. Robbs and John Collins)
In 1890, School districts #5 (Muncie) and #13 (Stony Point) recognized and addressed a major problem. “The districts are so large and the distance so far for the children to travel to either school that the feeling is that a new district should be gun in the center section…The two school boards (T. A. Grinter, James F. Grinter, and John C. Grinter of Stony Point, and Leonard Herbst, Alexander Jacks, and David Caskey of Muncie) called a general community meeting with the county superintendent of schools for the purpose of this division. The result of this meeting was the organization of District #43 called ‘New Muncie’ organized on September 21, 1891. The first District #43 board held classes at the corner of present 65th and Riverview. In 1892, plans for a new District #43 school building were finanlized. — Old Muncie District #5 continued until the Lindbergh was built circa 1918. Lindbergh maintained the District #5 number and Old Muncie closed. “The Pride of the Golden Bear” by Betty Gibson, 1981, p. 147
Schools in KCKs in Years of Change 1962-1986, Dr. Oren L. Plucker, 1987
1950 saw the first addition to an old frame building.
1952: Addition of more classrooms.
1956: Third addition to original building.
1961: Construction of fourth addition.
1974: Old frame core building removed. Four “relocatable” structures previously used at Quindaro added.
2001: Voters approved a proposed $120 million bond issue at the Municipal Election Tuesday (April 3, 2001) to air-condition schools, improve technology, and make other upgrades to schools and public libraries. Lindbergh was part of Phase I, which was completed in the summer of 2001.
2004: June 2: Kansas City Star: The district has been losing students, but spokesman Carroll Macke said that an influx of students in the central city forced the district to re-open Central Elementary at 8th St and Barnett Ave and McKinley Elementary at 611 N. 14 St. to reduce overcrowding at other elementary schools in the area. Other schools such as Lindbergh on North 57th St. and Frances Willard at 34th and Orville Ave, have added modular classrooms to accommodate students.
“A History of the Origin and Establishment of Washington Rural High School – Bethel, Kansas” – As contained in news articles found in the Kansas City Star and Times, Kansas City Kansan, and the Bonner Springs Chieftain – Apr 1929 to Feb 1932 – submitted by David C. Grove, Jan 1966 (Containing excerpts relative to Welborn, Vance, Bethel, Hazel Grove, Lindbergh, Pomeroy, Nearman, Wolcott, Pleasant Ridge, and White Church schools/communities.)
1950 – Earl Dorzab / 1966-69 – Eldon E Epley / 1969-75 – John Bryson / 1974-83 – Dora Mae Currie / 1983-94 – Nelda Kibby / 1994-99 – Willa Crawford / 1999-2011 – Dee Dee Hines / 2011 – Iva Lee Colgan / 2019 – Dr. Brooke Brutto